Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, April 9, 2010

Huge VICTORY!!!!

Growing up my dad was somewhat of a horseman, meaning we owned several... some for us to ride and others that we raced at good 'ole Blue Ribbon Downs. I even remember having a couple of race horses named after me, which as a little girl, I thought was pretty cool... actually I still do!
Well, my big brother never lost his love of horses and through the blessings of his job, he & his wife have been able to make enough $$$ to acquire several of their own, cause let's face it, this is NOT a cheap hobby!
One of their recent purchases was Jazz & Corona (that's one horse). Easter weekend he ran in a major qualifying race at Remington Park in OKC. To those who are not in the know of the horse world I will try to give a quick lesson as best I know...
To run in a futurity, you first must qualify. Sounds easy right.... uh, wrong. There were 100 horses who ran in the trials throughout the day... the top 12 times qualified. Not only did Bran's horse win his race, he ran the 4th fastest time out of those 100!!!!!! He will run in the futurity with these 11 other horses, competing for a purse of $750,000!!!!! Kipp, the girls and I will, obviously, be heading north to cheer them on!
Some people are in horse racing their whole lives and never make it to races like this... Brandon has always had a knack for this. It's a complicated subject; bloodlines, trainers, jockey's, so many variables come down to a 17 second race. But when all the chips fall in your favor... sweet, sweet victory!
Hopefully I will have pictures from the winner's circle in a couple of weeks!!!!

Bran's lucky number, you could say, has always been 5. For this trial race he drew the 5th slot in the 5th race! Here's their trophy for winning.
In the paddock before the race. (This is when all the horses walk out for everyone to get a good look).
Now he's got on his gear. Stoppin to pose... pappa-pappa-papparazzi!!!! Go #5!!!!!!!!!!!