Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, July 30, 2010

Swimming.....take 2!!!

I've learned quite a bit from our weeks in swim lessons....I soooooo wish we'd known about these awesome teachers last year. We put Kella in lessons at the gym last summer, unfortunately we found out at the END of the class that it was just a "lets-get-acquainted-with-the-water-blow-bubbles-for-fun-can-you-jump-off-the-side-without-having-a-melt-down" kind of class. Ugh! There was no intention of her learning to ''swim'' in that class OR heaven for bid, they learn what to do in case they fall in....isn't it nice to see that I am not holding a grudge.... =)~



Our first round of lessons was with Mrs. Margaret. (see earlier post) This week we met with Mrs. Melanie and her lovely daughters who assisted. She, too, holds the lessons in her backyard, has strict order of conduct (no parents allowed, kids should arrive with nothing other than a towel, no cover-up, no shoes, nothing!). The last day the parents get to come and cheer them on! There were only 2 other little girls in her class this time & Mrs. Melanie's approach was so sweet and gentle.

Upon arrival, Kella was quick to toss the towel and get on her "diamond". The steps had decorative tiles in the shape of diamonds for each of them to sit on - pretty clever, I thought!


First skill to showcase- the "submarine". The girls would push off the step and glide hands first to Mrs. Melanie - no kicking! It was so calm & peaceful to watch. I'm used to seeing Kella's version of swimming, which is squirming and flailing arms and legs, but this was calm.... she literally glided across the entire pool. I almost leaped from my chaise lounge with excitement!

Next, she pushed off Mrs. Melanie and glided back to the steps.

Moving on to kicking practice.


Practicing her arm motions. I love to hear what the teachers call each motion. It's difficult for me to practice (and frustrating for her too) when I call things by different names than her teacher. Here Mrs. Melanie would say "reach for my nose!" We have learned that Kella paddles with her arms backwards and to the sides instead of up and over. Before she would try like crazy to kick and paddle and she just wouldn't go anywhere!


Next was jumping (or being thrown from) the side.

And again.... first they would jump off and were supposed to turn around and go back to the edge, then hanging onto the side they would walk themselves back to the steps from the deep end. Most of the techniques are geared around pool safety, which gives me peace of mind that if she were to fall in she would know to go back to the side and not swim away from it!

Now it's time to get the rings...

And, of course, floating on her back.

All done! Usually they get fish stickers, but today was a popsicle!!!

So proud of my little fish! She worked pretty hard this week!!!!