Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I pledge....


So, I know it's been awhile... as I was looking back at pictures from this month, I realized it's been too long since my last post....


Kella often says phrases, sings songs and mimics people, animals in new ways that she's picked up from school. For instance, her green "blanket" as she has ALWAYS called it is now her "lovey". I've heard her teachers refer to the other kids prized possessions as this and now Kella informed me the other day, "Mom, this is my lovey"!


Another is her usually saying "Yeah" when answering, but recently she says, "Yesssssss'', with a definite stress on the "SSSS". Thanks to her 3 special teachers starting proper English early!


And now her latest is having a response of "Ohhh, okay!" Sounds so simple, but when you're having a conversation with a 3 year old and doing your best to explain something detailed in a way that she will understand, it's the perfect response to your efforts. Does she get it? Really? It also comes at very unexpected times.... when she's asking to go outside, watch a movie, blow bubbles in the living room, eat yogurt on the couch....and my answer is "No", I can tell her my reasoning and she says, "Oh, okay!" Huh? That's it? All this girl needs (for now) is an explanation and we move on about our day. Period. Oh, how I pray this reasoning will last.


The other day, she had the tongs and a dish towel. I noticed she was murmuring some words that seemed to have a familiar tone. I asked what she was making and she said it was her flag. "What are you saying?" "Is that the pledge of allegiance?" I took her "flag" and recited the words, rushing back memories from Mrs. Sindle's kindergarten class when I was the special leader and got to lead the flag salute!!! As I recited, her eyes kept getting bigger and bigger. Could it be that mom knows this amazing poem too!!! (At least that's what I thought was going through her head =D)

She waited for my finale, took back her "flag" and recited the WHOLE pledge of allegiance. Who knew that my little dumplin' knew this in it's entirety!?! Probably not that big of a deal to some... I mean, why does a 3 year old need to know this?!? But I knew who would be just as proud of her as me? GIBBIE!!! We made a quick phone call and I could feel her smile through the phone! With all my mom's experience with little ones, she's a good source for comparing notes.