Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Ryan's room!

After many trips to the fabric store, I can finally say Ryan's room is FINISHED!!!! I don't know how I did this with Kella... since we didn't know she was a girl, I did everything for her room in the weeks after she was born...WHEW! I have, however, looked forward to getting Ryan's room finished beforehand. Here are the final results....

We painted the room Tiffany blue with hot pink and orange accents. I knew I was going to use this paint color after seeing several rooms on HGTV.com. I found the pink/orange stripe fabric here in Frisco and went from there. My favorite day was putting her name on the wall (it's Uppercase Living, of course!!!)

I couldn't find the plush crib sheets in hot pink so I decided to make it myself... this started a, what seemed to be, never ending project of sewing. Thanks to mom for the sewing machine I got for Christmas!!! I started with the crib sheet and dust ruffle. In my opinion, baby bedding has been a little overrated. I remember being so excited to get Kella's and then was stunned at how little you actually use the stuff. By the time she was pulling up and standing we had to take the bumper out AND she never even used the blanket that came with it. So this time, I decided to just buy a white bumper from babies 'r us..... BUT, after putting it on I decided it just wouldn't do. So how hard can making a bumper be, right?! This was my thought as I contemplated this journey. I thought about what I liked & didn't like about Kella's bedding and how it functioned. Even after we removed her bumper (for fear of her using it as a launching pad to get out of her crib), we would still line the sides with stuffed animals to prevent any limbs from getting stuck in the bars. So I decided to make it in separate pieces and more like pillows. Her mobile was a must when putting her to sleep, but it didn't fit over the bumper, so I made a special slot for it to hang on the side properly. All in all, I think it turned out pretty good for my experience level only being 1 semester of Home EC.... thanks Mrs. Moffett!!!!
I bought this chandelier for $10 from our neighbor. It was brass, so I spray painted white, added crystals left over from mom's dining room fixture, covered the "candlesticks" with scrap booking paper and made a cord cover.

This armoire was given to us by our friend Chris. I decorated his daughter's room back in the summer and she didn't have room for this due to her new bed. Luckily we did! I got the turquoise antique-looking pulls from Anthropology. Thanks Chris!!!


When searching for a piece of furniture to use as a window seat, I started looking around my house as well. I noticed I had been moving my ottoman all around my living room, because there isn't a good spot for it. Soooo, I drug it into Ryan's room one day and it fit perfectly! I made the slip cover out of the same fabric as her crib sheet, covered a bolster that I got from a garage sale and VOILA!!! I also got one of those cheap, plastic window shades and covered it with her dust ruffle fabric to black the room out for naps.
I hope this girl likes it as much as I enjoyed doing it for her!